7 Days of Sex – He Said/She Said (Pre-Challenge)

Posted on November 14, 2008

He (Ed) said:
The amount of press this challenge has gotten over the last several days has been a little surprising. I can’t say I’m shocked, though. Our culture is so used to toilet water that it’s refreshing when we get a taste of God’s pure desire for sex in marriage. So no, I’m not shocked. I’m excited. But the most exciting aspect of this isn’t the press. It’s not the news coverage or the interviews.

The most exciting part of this right now is the potential that this challenge has to help heal and strengthen so many marriages and families. I pray over the next week that communication lines are opened, intimacy is restored and marriages are strengthened as they "do it" God’s way. Please join me in this prayer.

She (Lisa) said:
I mentioned this at Flavour, but let me say it here. I’m so excited about this challenge! (And yes, ladies, I’m the one who brought the idea to Ed through a magazine article I’d found.) Why am I so excited? That’s simple. Because God has revolutionized my view of sex and removed a lot of preconceived notions I had. And I can truly value intimacy done God’s way.

This challenge is about so much more than the act of sex. This is an opportunity for marriages to get back to what God designed them to be. It’s a chance for all of us to reinforce our love for our spouses.

So here’s my prayer for this next week. First, to the ladies. I ‘m praying that God expands your view of the importance of sex in marriage and that He gives you the diligence in prioritizing this aspect of your marriage. And for the men, my prayer is that you will lead out spiritually for your wife so that the oneness God has in mind will supernaturally flow through every aspect of your marriage. (And yes, that includes sex.)

10 Replies to "7 Days of Sex - He Said/She Said (Pre-Challenge)"

• Andrea
    November 14, 2008 (2:46 pm)

Bravo! I am single, (someday the umbrella fella will come) AND I agree. The divorce rate would not be over 50% if more marriages WORKED, this is part of working at it. I’ve personally been questioned about this challenge and I said to them and I’ll say it to you…
    I stand behind Pastor Young, I stand behind Fellowship church and I see the wisdom in this challenge. God Bless you!

• John Wilson
    November 14, 2008 (4:00 pm)

I just watched a clip of an interview Ed did on CNN regarding the 7 Days of Sex. Overall, I believe the message was positive, however, it concerned me when the interviewer suggested that Ed might be contributing to non-consensual sex. As I listened, I couldn’t help but get frustrated at how often the media either misunderstands or misrepresents a situation. The truth is Ed is not “requiring” anyone to have sex. If either party doesn’t want to have sex, they certainly have the option of saying no. The whole point of this challenge is for married couples to spend quality time with each other and grow in their intimacy.

• Tammy
    November 14, 2008 (9:56 pm)

I saw the interview with Ed on CNN, and I must say that I have to give Ed so many kudos for his patience and understanding with that reporter who obviously was missing the point and trying to take a sensational angle with his message that was not intended. I think it’s hysterical that the media can find something wrong with Ed suggesting that a married couple have sex for 7 straight days (like they probably did without being prompted when they first got married), but they pass no moral judgment when they report on the out of wedlock carousing of every celebrity. Go Ed!

• Robert Hinton
    November 15, 2008 (9:21 am)

I truly believe this concept is God inspired and He is intervening, through Ed Young and hopefully others across this nation, on behalf of married couple everywhere who struggle in their marriage with intimacy, trust, respect, … or in other words all of the aspects of a marriage relationship. I truly believe and believe that God has revealed to me that sex in marriage relationship is the glue that binds all of the characteristics of love together. Sex reinforces everything that is needed by both spouses. Where words can’t describe what you feel or need from your spouse, sex is that tool that expresses this to your spouse. I believe that this is so powerful and ground-breaking and is not only transforming for married couples both for the strength of our country. That last statement may be hard to conceptualize for some. But, I believe with all my heart and soul that the strength of a country lies in the strength of marriage relations and the family in our nation. History proves that the precursors to the fall of a nation is the fall or deterioration of the family and marriage relationship. I pray for Ed Young and pastors all across this nation to connect with God and ask Him to connect them with this God inspired knowledge and pronounce it throughout this land. Thank you Mr. Ed Young for this God inspired word from God. Robert Hinton

• Mac
    November 15, 2008 (2:21 pm)

What a great idea! It’s so telling that the only people who are getting all upset over this are angry liberals and angry Pharisees. If they supported you, you should be concerned. Their opposition is a monster affirmation that you’re on the right track. We’re with you in Austin!

• Mia and Jonathan
    November 16, 2008 (10:51 am)

This challenge is so absolutely amazing. In a time where the top 5 things that the internet is used for, are things that destroy and break apart the intimacy of a marriage, it’s time for the church to step up and talk about sex and relationships in a positive godly way. If we don’t talk about it in church, married couples turn to movies, romance novels, internet or hollywood for the inspiration of what a marriage should be! The church should be a place where if you have questions you can feel free to talk to talk about it, not “oh we don’t talk about that here”!
    My husband and I lead a homteam for newlyweds with Bay Area Fellowship and we are definitely going to challenge our homteam to listen to the sermons online and try the challenge. Way to go Ed!

• G LaMaster
    November 16, 2008 (7:07 pm)

During today’s message (11/16/08) when you were talking about meeting Bono and the dirt under his fingernails, I couldn’t help but notice your thumb was black. Did you shut it in a door or something? Just curious.

• Teena
    November 20, 2008 (12:17 am)

Looking forward for next Sunday and the next sermon… 🙂

• Jamie
    November 20, 2008 (1:21 pm)

From IL we have seen the challenge. Viewed your website and proudly accept the challenge. Thank you for having the courage and wisdom to speak up!

• Pearl Bates
    November 24, 2008 (9:08 am)

While I can agree with the basic tenet of Ed’s challenge, I just have to comment that some sensitivity must be given to those without spouses, widowed or divorced. It is somewhat of a double-edged sword: good for one set of folks, and absolutely heart-wrenching for others.
    Blessings to all the married folks out there.