Numbers That Count

Posted on March 24, 2008
Easter. The second most attended weekend on any church’s calendar. But it’s not all about the numbers. Of course, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t going to look at our numbers from this weekend. Any pastor who doesn’t look at them isn’t really leading in my opinion. But it’s not just about the numbers. It’s more about the numbers within the numbers.

This weekend we again experienced something at Fellowship that we strive for every weekend, something that goes far beyond stats and figures. Something that is found deep within the numbers. Oneness.

One church. Five locations.
At each of our campuses, we saw people we had never seen before. We welcomed families who hadn’t been to church in years. From our newest location in Fort Worth to our Miami Good Friday service, the excitement and impact of this weekend far exceded our expectations. In the 18 years at Fellowship, God has always blown our forecasts and expectations out of the water. He did it again this year.

Are the overall numbers important? Sure. But f
or me, it’s the numbers within the numbers that really matter.

We are one church.

We have one vision.

We strive to reach one life at a time with the message of the one true Savior of the world.

Did the numbers meet our expectations? If one person stepped over the line of faith, then the answer is yes. Because that’s the only number that really counts.

11 Replies to "Numbers That Count"

• Sandra West
    March 24, 2008 (10:01 am)

AMEN!
    I couldn’t agree more. Also, the numbers only represent those who were in attendance at one of our campuses. It doesn’t reflect the lives that were touched and the seeds that were planted when our people reached out and invited others…prayed for others…and reached out to strangers they may never see again. God will continue to work in those lives and they are part His numbers. I am so glad to be part of a church that gives us so much encouragement to reach out and also tools(cards, window stickers, etc) that make doing so easier and more creative. Thank you Fellowship for all that you do. We are so blessed!

• Pete Wilson
    March 24, 2008 (10:13 am)

Your right on Ed. We had an amazing Easter here in Nashville. Production, outreach, worship, first impressions…it was all amazing. But the most amazing thing were the number of people that crossed the line of faith.
    Thanks for being such an amazing leader Ed!

• Gary
    March 24, 2008 (11:34 am)

We were privileged to visit FC Saturday at the 5PM serevice it was wonderful. As a Pastor for over 30 years this was my first Easter away from a church home. In the interim between churches my wife and I have “attended” FC on TV for the last 10 weeks here in San Diego. When visiting our kids in Frisco we worshipped with you for Easter…and we felt at home. In fact as strange as it may sound we felt we knew you. The service was amazing, comfortable, and a powerful presentation of the gospel. Blessings to you and thanks for being there for us in a critical time in our ministry.
    Gary

• Sam
    March 24, 2008 (1:24 pm)

Right on Ed. It is so true. Number are something but not everything. Jesus taught us to leave the 99 for the 1 because He was trying to teach us the value of a soul.
    Every single person matters to God.
    Great post.

• Clint
    March 24, 2008 (1:46 pm)

I wanted to thank you for your great work. I love to see people live out their gifts and show God’s love. It is great to know that there are still people concerned about people, not just numbers. You are an inspiration to me, along with every person that does the work of ministry!

• Dan Smith
    March 24, 2008 (10:08 pm)

Thanks Ed. I love this blog post, because One was and is me. Because of your leadership and because of the thumbprint you have made in our Church and in our family at Lake Hills Church, my life was changed. And now 5 years later. I work diligently on staff at LHC for exactly that…One. One Church, One Vision, One more Dan being transformed by the power of Christ. Keep rockin it Ed!

• Michael Servello
    March 24, 2008 (10:24 pm)

Right on Ed. Your focus and heart have been an inspiration to our church. Blessings to you, your family, and your church!

• Terrace Crawford
    March 25, 2008 (4:59 pm)

I so agree.

• HEATHER
    March 25, 2008 (9:44 pm)

And the cool thing about that “one number that really counts” is the face and the story behind that. Nothing jazz’s me up more than hearing the story of “one” who had the courage and resolve to stand up and come forward for Him.

• Troy Gramling
    March 25, 2008 (11:56 pm)

Thanks for the thoughts Ed…Great to hear you guys had a great Easter…

• Jacqueline
    March 26, 2008 (2:38 am)

Thank you for the blogging. and giving back more of your time doing this for the readers.
    It is always an uplifting, Blessing to read. God Bless you and your family.