Marriage is hard…amen?!

Posted on March 12, 2008

Marriage is HARD! Always putting someone else’s needs ahead of my own. Always having to consider someone else’s feelings. Always putting my stuff on the backburner. Sometimes I think "I could be fishing somewhere in south Florida if I didn’t have to focus on my marriage!" And it’s right then when I realize…

Marriage isn’t the easiest thing; it’s the hardest thing. But when we do it God’s way, it can definitely be the greatest thing.

Lisa and I have been married for 25 years. That’s more than half my life. And for 18 of those years, we’ve led Fellowship Church. That’s a whole lot of thinking of other people ahead of ourselves. The realities of ministry and marriage are tough. And I know that anyone who is in the same shoes is screaming, "AMEN!"

But there’s no doubt, the journey has been well worth the effort. And as I get ready for this new series on marriage, I thank God that he’s led the way. Because without him, there’s no way we’d be able to make it!

If you are in any kind of leadership in the church, you know how tough it can be. That’s why Lisa and I invite you to check out our Creative Marriage Retreat coming up May 8-9 at the Gaylord Texan Resort in Grapevine, Texas.

Lisa and I will be there. And we’ll have some phenomenal guest speakers with us, including the founding pastor of LifeChurch Craig Groeschel and his wife Amy (check out Craig’s blog at http://swerve.lifechurch.tv/).

Don’t miss this perfect opportunity to reignite the passion in your marriage and relax for a weekend at one of Texas’s premier resorts! For details, just check out our site at http://www.creativepastors.com/.

We look forward to seeing you there!

12 Replies to "Marriage is hard...amen?!"

• Sandra
    March 12, 2008 (9:08 am)

I have a nephew that is getting married in July. He and his lovely fiance are getting nervous about the day after the “wedding”. They are fighting over a dirty apartment they don’t even have yet. Arguing over who’s going to walk the dog….did I mention they don’t even have one?! We plan to give them the Creative Marriage as a gift. That was our first HT Book and we learned SO much from it! I tell them it’s good to plan for the future, but don’t freak out about thing that aren’t even real yet. Enjoy the now! I’m looking forward to your message.

• Jon
    March 12, 2008 (12:52 pm)

Amen it’s hard! But you’re right…nothing is better. Thank you for your teaching about marriage and all you do to help couples get the most out of their relationships… I know my marriage has benefitted!

• Brianna
    March 12, 2008 (3:45 pm)

too many families have been sacrificed on the altar of ministry and have fallen victim to the unrealistic expectations of church members. this retreat sounds wonderful! please blog about it 😉

• Darren Plummer
    March 12, 2008 (6:39 pm)

Glad to see you in the blogsphere, Ed! Looking forward to your posts!
    D-PLUM

• Cameron
    March 12, 2008 (6:53 pm)

Sure is, shame Linda and I cant get along, we are starting out in ministry in a new church plant and finding life in this time quite hard. Looking forward to GREAT times ahead though

• PJ
    March 12, 2008 (9:33 pm)

Marriage is hard but its also a blessing. My husband and i have been together for 23 years and i wouldn’t change even one minute of it. We’ve cried together and laughed together, and shared our deepest thoughts. My husband is the best blessing God could have ever given me. He is my best friend, my lover, my confidant.
    Thank you, Ed, for being willing to share!
    PJ

• lisa
    March 12, 2008 (10:11 pm)

I am so excited about this retreat because of the impact it will have on many marriages and the ministries they influence. Ed and I will be there to share some of the great wisdom that has been handed to us through our 25 years. We have got to help one another out so that our marriages are truly a reflection of our relationship with Christ. I hope everyone will pass this along to their ministry friends and get them to check it out. For years Ed has told our church that the greatest sermon he will ever preach isn’t one from the pulpit but rather his relationship with me and our children. We all need this to ring true in our families and churches. Hope to see you there!

• Richard
    March 12, 2008 (10:53 pm)

How awesome is it that there is a marriage conference now specifically designed for those who are helping out in other marriage conferences/studies, or constantly surrounded by marriages falling apart which they are asked to save! No matter what level of service we’re in, there’s always a need for a little “marriage tune-up”. Thanks Fellowship Church!!

• Debbie
    March 13, 2008 (9:06 am)

It is such a wonderful thing to have a friend in your spouse. I mean, who doesn’t want that? Think about it, you do so much for your friends, why not do all that for your spouse and have a friend right in front of your face?

• art
    March 17, 2008 (10:06 pm)

I used to have a tough time praying quietly or out loud. I have strength for those now…but praying with the wife is tough.
    Have any advice for praying with the wife? Thanks for the book Creative Marriage!
    Gotta go… I need to ask the wife to pray … Amen? Art.

• Jeff Dooley
    April 29, 2008 (11:36 am)

My wife and I really need to attend the upcoming marriage conference. I am a husband in full-time ministry. Praying for God to provide us a way financially. Will you pray with me?
    Jeff

• Roxanne
    August 24, 2008 (10:13 pm)

I want to ask that you pray for my marriage we have gone through some issues with my husbands affair but i prayed for his return and now God answered and now im having trouble trusting him. especially because they still work in the same environment and she is constantly talking to co-workers saying the relationship is not over..I truely believe that he wants to do the right thing and he wants to restore our marriage but he still is weak and I feel she trys extra to keep him from focusing on his family.. please pray me. the lord has used us so much in the past we have been married 20years I know the lord is not finished with us!!! but i can’t deny that this is the hardest thing to overcome I know my lord is faithful but I really need his strengh….. thanks Roxanne