The Urgency of Prayer

Posted on April 13, 2009

There are times when it is necessary to be reminded of the power and urgency of prayer in all of our lives. Today is one of those days.

Yesterday, during the 10:00 a.m. service at our Grapevine campus, a 23 year old man named Jared collapsed and was taken to the hospital. I ask that you lift him up in prayer, as well as his family who were all together at the Easter service. Jared is hanging onto life by a thread, and the pain his family is experiencing is immense.

As I type this I am reminded of the urgency of prayer, not only for Jared, but also for so many others who are in need of healing physically and spiritually.

As far as we know, Jared is secure in his eternity with Christ. But every day, you and I pass hundreds and thousands of people who are not. They too are holding onto eternal life by a thread.

While they may not realize their need for spiritual healing because of the fact that they have a physical pulse, there will come a day when that pulse will stop. And for too many people, that day will be a tragic and unnecessary death. It doesn't have to be that way.

So as I ask you to pray for Jared's physical healing and for his family, I also ask you to pray for those in your life who do not know Jesus Christ. Pray that they come to realize who Christ is and all that he can do in their lives. Because it is only through Jesus that we have any hope for life. And it is only through him that we can experience true healing!

15 Replies to "The Urgency of Prayer"

• Coleen
    April 13, 2009 (11:56 am)

Amen! I am in agreement with you, I pray that God will heal Jared and be with His family during this difficult time. I agree we need to be praying for the unsaved, and those who have drifted for the Lord.

• Mike
    April 13, 2009 (1:26 pm)

As my family prays for this young man and his family please let us know how things are going. This has reminded me just how short our stay here is and will motivate me futher to grow closer to our God!
    Our God truly works in mysterious ways!
    Mike M

• Brandon Reedy
    April 13, 2009 (5:53 pm)

It’s real tough. My cousin passed away Sunday morning. 48 yrs. Loved God, loved his family, and loved life. I know what this family is feeling. I needed to read this. Thank you Pastor Ed. Life. It’s a special, crazy rollercoaster. But it’s all we have. Cherish it. Cherish your family and friends. Walk with the Faith that you have the best friend ever right by your side. Everyday. Every moment. God.

• Scott S
    April 13, 2009 (5:54 pm)

Wow, when things like that happen it hits close to home. My 17 year old daughter and I were sitting about 10 rows in front of this young man. I didn’t want it to distract my daughter but we both glance as they were rushing this young man away. Has our Pastor as said, we are one heart beat away from eternity. I pray that God will grant Jared a full recovery. Our thoughts are with him and his family!

• Kevin Jones
    April 13, 2009 (5:56 pm)

My heart goes out to Jared and his family!!! My family was at the last service when this was announced and I cannot stop thinking about this young man. We will continue to hold Jared up in our heart and prayers, asking that god my do his will!!! May god touch Jared physically, making him whole once again to be with his family and friends!!
    So sad but true, we don’t have the guarantees of drawing our next breath, only through Jesus do we have guarantees of everlasting life with our father.

• Buddy Cremeans
    April 13, 2009 (6:35 pm)

Praying for Jared.
    Thanks for keeping Jesus vision white hot.

• Robin Shrode
    April 13, 2009 (9:49 pm)

I pray for Jared and his family and reach out to my church family at Fellowship and ask for prayers for my nephew Clay who is losing his battle with cancer and in his last days here with us. He is an amazing young man and of strong faith but our grief is still great. He is 27 and will celebrate his 2nd anniversary with his bride of two years on April 21. Please lift them both up in prayer for peace as well as my entire family.
    Robin S
    Irving

• Tricia York
    April 13, 2009 (10:30 pm)

I will certainly be praying for Jared and his family. May the love of God comfort and uphold his family during this difficult time.

• Amanda Gordon
    April 14, 2009 (2:28 am)

Keeping him and his family in prayer. Please keep us updated and let us know if we can do anything for the family, i.e. bring food, help out with house hold chores, etc. I love to cook and never have anyone to cook for because I’m single, so please let me know. Thanks.

• Corbin Rubinson
    April 14, 2009 (5:18 pm)

I’ve been praying since Sunday. I was close by when I saw him collapse and I prayed immediately.

• J
    April 15, 2009 (2:42 pm)

We all have been praying for Jared. He has touched so many lives in his years. He has been a great blessing for me and others. We pray that he will come out of this all ok and will continue to serve the lord. I agree we all need to be saved. We never know when the Lord may want us. Get well Jared and we hope for a speedy recovery.

• Cindy Dorman
    April 23, 2009 (8:17 am)

We too have been in ICU for over a week with my husband and have spoken many times with Jared’s family. I told his mother yesterday that their steadfast Faith in God has been such a blessing to me and that it has made my Faith stronger. We continue to pray for Jared and have placed him on prayer lists along with my husband James all over the country. We love the Lord and thank him for the privilege of prayer.

• Cindy Dorman
    April 25, 2009 (6:45 am)

Our prayers continue for this precious family. My faith is strengthend every day that I visit with Jared’s Dad, Mom, Brother, Grandmother and Aunt. What a wonderful family that completely put their TRUST and FAITH in our precious Savior. I have asked the Lord that he shower Jared and his family with many many blessings. The day will come that I will get to look up into precious Jared’s face and give him a big hug myself.
    Cindy Dorman

• Jan, Jared's Grandmother
    May 2, 2009 (10:29 am)

Thank you Ed and for Fellowship Church and all that have prayed for Jared and our family during this time of crisis. Our heart hurts for those who do not know our Holy God and the way He works through others. It bring a strength and a comfort and a peace that defies understanding. God loves us so much that HE gave us an entrance into the throne room when we come in prayer. Our God is an accessible God longing to hear from His children. Prayer IS powerful and you are right when you say the URGENCY of prayer is now! God heard your prayers; Jared is alive, defying all odds! Glory be to GOD! Please continue to pray for the unsaved and thank HIM for answered prayers.

• Shafin de Zane