Guest Post – Lisa Young – Beside Every Great Man…

Posted on September 4, 2008

Many years ago I read First Lady Serita Jakes’ book, Beside Every Great Man. It was a wonderful look inside her life and journey as the wife of Bishop T.D. Jakes. Perhaps it is just semantics, but I love that title because it replaces well the old saying "behind every great man there is a great woman."

I have just wrapped up two days with 12 of the most amazing women you would ever want to know. We have many things in common. But the one that caused us to gather for these two days was the fact that each of us stands beside a lead pastor of a growing church.

It was a wonderful time of sharing and encouragement. We talked about topics like the responsiblity we feel to be all things to all people. We shared the pressures we face like guarding our hearts against hurt, balancing the responsibilities of being a wife and a mother in ministry, dealing with criticism and ministering to the needs of our husbands.

The mantle these girls have taken on is overwhelming to say the least. I can’t begin to capture it with words, but many of you know what I’m talking about.

I was so inspired by these women and their strength. I suppose I was the "old lady" of the bunch, but it didn’t matter because these girls were so wise beyond their years. And I saw firsthand how deep their love for God and husband runs. It made me proud to sit among them and honored to call them friends.

Since I don’t have my own blog (yet), I am piggy-backing on Ed’s to give a shout out to these terrific ladies. I want to say a giant "THANK YOU" for sharing some great stories, giving fresh ideas, challenging us to all think deeply about what we do, and for applauding our differences and celebrating those precious things we share.

There is so much more to say, but I think I’ll save it for a future gathering … call it an excuse to reunite. But most of all, I want to say "thank you" to each of you for standing beside God’s great man!

6 Replies to "Guest Post - Lisa Young - Beside Every Great Man..."

• Janet
    September 7, 2008 (8:03 am)

AND beautiful…I might add…on the outside as well as the inside!!!!

• Jessica Cornelius
    September 7, 2008 (4:09 pm)

Lisa,
    Thanks for all the advice over the years. You have been an example of a positive,godly,wise,and fun pastor’s wife. Your love for pastor’s wives has been a gift to many churches. Thanks for leading the way for a new generation of pastor’s wives.
    Jessica Cornelius

• Stephanie Gramling
    September 8, 2008 (11:25 am)

Lisa…I hated SO badly that I had to miss this pastor’s wives roundtable. Troy & I were on a cruise during that time. But if you guys do this again, I am definitely in! I also want to say “Thanks” to both you & Ed for the impact you have had on mine & Troy’s life. We have learned so much from you guys & your ministry there at Fellowship. Thanks for your leadership, and for the example you are to pastor’s & wives all across the country.
    Stephanie Gramling

• Tricia Lovejoy
    September 9, 2008 (6:27 am)

Lisa,
    I felt refreshed and focused after our time together. Sharing our challenges and victories, comparing notes, sharpening one another…..why haven’t we done this sooner? My husband gets time with other lead pastors to do the same thing; I just didn’t realize how valuable it could be in my own life to circle up with other wives going the same direction as me! Thanks to all of you for being so transparent and real!

• Michelle
    October 1, 2008 (8:38 am)

Thanks for this blog entry. My husband is the pastor of a large church in a small town. At times I have wished my husband had chosen some other career as the scars left by many staff and members of the church have run very deep. It has often left me feeling very alone. When I read these words I was reminded that there are many others who feel the same way-
    “We shared the pressures we face like guarding our hearts against hurt, balancing the responsibilities of being a wife and a mother in ministry, dealing with criticism and ministering to the needs of our husbands.”
    Thanks for sharing from your time together!

• Lisa
    June 16, 2009 (9:15 pm)

I truly appreciate knowing that other pastor’s wives have similar feelings to mine . . . such as, feeling that you have to guard your heart against hurt, balancing responsibilities of ministry, dealing with criticism and ministering to the needs of your husband.
    People who aren’t a pastor’s wife, will tell you, you should OR should not have those thoughts or feelings, and so on . . . so you start to feel like something is “wrong” with you.
    I appreciated seeing Lisa Young @ a Creative Pastor Conference in NY State (I think in was in the Fall of 2008). She and her husband, Ed, were what appeared to be honest and open . . . and I could begin to “heal” from that point. Just to know that ministry could be described as “brut-e-ful” was healing!!!
    I look forward to Lisa Young’s blog of encouragement!!!