Guest Post – Lisa Young – Fish Stories

Posted on June 11, 2008

Just a few days ago I watched something unfold which I know to be true, but found great to see played out so close to home.

Our family loaded up and headed out of town for the beginning of our summer vacation. Only this trip didn’t just include our family. Several of Ed’s fishing buddies were in tow for a getaway of their own.

As the five of them headed out for an adventurous fishing expedition, it was fun to see that even at the ripe old age of 47, a grown man can get pumped about hanging out with some good friends.

As our daughter Landra watched these guys interact and act like kids, she commented on how her dad was laughing more than she had seen in a long time. She even said, "What’s up with Dad?!"

I had to laugh at her response, but quickly said a prayer of thanksgiving to the Lord for giving Ed this time of refreshment and relaxation that comes from time away with replenishing friends.

Anyone in the ministry knows the value of having close friends to share with and to laugh with. As these guys cast out for "the big one," they are pouring into each other. And when they get back, they’ll have stories to tell and laugh over for years. (Fish stories are always the biggest and the best!)

No matter where your ministry is–in the home, at the office or in a church–I pray that you find and develop those relationships that energize and recharge you so that you can do everything God wants you to do with excitement and enthusiasm. And I pray that through this summer you will have some fish stories of your own!

7 Replies to "Guest Post - Lisa Young - Fish Stories"

• scott weatherford
    June 11, 2008 (12:33 pm)

We live to tell the stories! Great post Lisa.

• The Peapod Four
    June 11, 2008 (8:01 pm)

That is so true Lisa! My husband and I are part of a small group that got started more than 10 years ago. Even though we are at different churches now, those friendships have grown stronger and stronger – as couples, but also the girls/guys. I thankful for each of them and we definitely have some fish stories!!

• Kelli Jo Hodges
    June 12, 2008 (11:53 am)

As a member of a single parent home team, I find this to be so very true. The single mom’s in my HT are very close, like sisters. In fact we call ourselves the
    La Ti Da Sisterhood (Ya Ya Sisterhood was taken). We are not just a home team, we are a family and our children are like bothers and sisters and yes they fight like it too. I think it was actually my son who ate the poor little fish (minnow), so there goes that fish story.

• Anthony Maglione IV
    June 12, 2008 (5:48 pm)

Praise The Lord for Christ like friends and laughter, two key ingredients for ministry.

• Tracy
    June 12, 2008 (6:20 pm)

As we start our 19th year of ministry, we certainly know the value of true friends and we know the lack of true friends in the whole ministry world. We draw close to the “angels” God has given and thanks HIM each day for blessing us with FRIENDS!

• Kim Hebert
    June 13, 2008 (5:21 am)

Thank you for reminding us of this very important message about recharging that is often pushed aside by us busy mom’s. I’m already planning my next recharge!

• Blake
    June 21, 2008 (2:04 pm)

This isn’t a true fish story until you mention the size, quantity, and kind of fish caught. And, you can always mentioned the “one that got away, too.” : )
    Have a great summer!